Thursday, July 1, 2010

Details? Details.


Finally. Science!

My first two weeks working in the Developmental Psychopharmacology Lab at McLean Hospital, though mentally and physically taxing, absolutely flew by! For roughly 25 hours each week, I struggled to adjust to the lab and my boss's instructions.

Before I started, I had pictured myself working in one of two settings:
1. A sort of "mad scientist" dungeon-lair filled with specimens in jars, dangerous equipment, with only intermittent lightening strikes illuminating the room. Something similar to Ms. Moore's 9th grade biology class, complete with cases of taxidermied animals.
or
2. Something along the lines of scientific settings featured in commercials for facial cream or Botox. Sanitary white counters with CSI Miami-level technology complete with cool lighting effects. Everyone would wear lab coats and goggles. Tests would be finished by magic requiring little effort for instantaneous results.

I found reality somewhere in between. The lab is cluttered with ancient equipment, some covered in rust and dysfunctional. I would list them, but I honestly have no idea what they are. They rest next to modern counterparts: new pipettes, centerfuges, computers, and a shiny new stereotax (see picture above)! There are shelves of dusty books and binders, stained counter tops and sinks, and racks of chemicals. One of my favorite pieces of equipment is an impulse sealer (right), which we use to seal the edges of plastic bags.

I enjoy the excitement of various "dangerous" situations as well. Radioactive and biohazardous substances fill two refrigerators in the lab. Many chemicals may only be used under the ventilated "hood" with eye, mouth, and skin protection. It was in this setting that my adjustment to the research lifestyle began.

1 comment:

  1. HAAAAATE stereotaxes. That sounds so cool though, I'm incredibly jealous of your productive summer.

    ReplyDelete